A couple days later, and a few hours of learning in, and i’ve built up the starting point for what i think is a somewhat useful asset/library management system.
The Basics as they stand so far:
- Choose a root directory that you have your meshes stored at.
- for each directory in the root tree, add an entry to the treeview on the left, a’la explorer.
- when you click on any leaflet of the treeview, we build on the fly an html thumbnail page of the Maxfiles/Thumbnails in the directory with a few basic informational items.
- clicking on a thumbnail, imports a model.
That glosses over some of the fun parts of getting the thumbnails of each model, and general organizational bits involved in maintaining your asset library, but thats it, clean and simple.
Its what i imagine that Utilities menu ‘Asset Library’ would do, if it didn’t just make max fast exit.
Now to evaluate the work involved in making it bulletproof enough to possibly be useful outside of our small studio.
- Features on the horizon:
- fully cached directories (Done!, only recurse the filesystem once.)
- Multiple Library Classes:
- Texture as Billboard
- Queue of meshes to load
- Placement of meshes on load? OR integrate the idrop functionality
- include maxfiles that do not have thumbnails (extracting the explorer thumbnail preview)
Well, that’s probably enough to kill off my free time for a few more days.. Heh!