I’ve been working on this tool for a while now, here’s a quick captured demo of some of the features of my hospital room design application in action.
here’s a current video of my OR/ICU design project, created in unity3d, with fully configurable parametric models rigged with both IK and FK, and a tool to quickly draw out any layout of walls, windows and doors to spatially visualize the placement and reach of equipment needed in an operating room space.
This is a full featured application, including but not nearly limited to:
- Full file save / load for easy sharing of designs within the staff
- Easy to navigate tab based menu for selecting models and assets to insert
- all models will give some sort of visual feedback that they can be controlled by the user; ex: some arms will highlight in blue to notify the user that they are rotatable; some pieces will highlight in green to notify that they are movable; some in red to notify that they are control points that allow you to drag or re-position the entire hierarchy chain of the selected boom.
- many models have custom logic built in so that they move and rotate within their engineering limits (As best as we could get them in some cases, as some manufacturers were less than forthcoming with information and model details!)
- Customizable system to draw out and place walls, with orthographic or free line drawing, snaps, and dimensions integrated
- multiple wall styles, to quickly change and prototype room designs with windows, peek thrus, walls, headers, and soffits
- fully configurable ‘Hero’ equipment, developed from engineering models, with tolerances for how they can move and be configured together
- rule sets integrated that control how these items may be modified, ex: changing a light head to a flattened light head, or adding shelves to a boom
- this ‘Hero’ equipment is generated at run time as needed, this allows us to quickly configure the various lengths and heights needed to show the flexibility of the equipment system, and turn the tool from a demonstrative sales tool, into a full on design tool
- helpers of various types to show range of motion, overlaps, and possible collisions
- tools to place staff within the scene, and change to their point of view, look around and see what the end user of the room will see when the full update to their room takes place.
- output to jpg in several sizes, depending on whether the user is trying to print, email, or target a presentation size image
- custom user configurable animation paths
- output to an mp4 video file of a fixed size to enable easy email and sharing of the designs with the customers, architects, and planners that are involved in the process