EDIT 6: 5-12 Version:
- Added in option for making the hydra controller forward be the look direction.
- Added some basic swarming boxes/drones in to the scene, and a sword to play with to beat said swarm up. you’ll find options on the wall menu to enable the sword, add or remove from the swarm, and kill them all.
- Added a webcam plane to the scene, and also one to the corner of the player camera for use as a ‘hud’ with head mounted cameras.. It might be interesting with a wide angle lens, but my webcam was pretty boring! It is neat to see the video playback ‘huge’ on the wall though. that was nicer quality than I thought it would be.
- It can come in handy when setting yourself up with the Hydra as head tracking gig if you have an ourward facing camera on the laptop like I do.
- Re-arranged the hand hierarchy so we can grab/move/throw things with both hands now, which should lead to scaling objects shortly.
“Dad, are you making this stuff? You gonna be wacking the things? It is fun to play with” – My 6 year old, after smacking swarmed boxes, and throwing cubes at the webcam picture of my face for 5 minutes and giggling uncontrollably.
Just updated the contents of the ZIP, same download link: Download HERE
It’s about time to do another video soon, sorry I haven’t yet, video recording is not nearly as much fun as working on random things! 🙂
EDIT5: 5-8 Version:
- Added this ‘Hydra as positional head tracking‘ thing that everyone is talking about, there’s a button on the wall to enable it, just attach the hydra to your head somehow, then hit the button for fun and profit.
- There’s a light saber here, It doesn’t really do anything yet, but I’m sure you can see where this must go (Especially if you can ‘dodge’ someone elses attack.. *wink*
- You can throw the player now with the LeftButton2, not for the faint of heart, but kinda fun.
- Did some experimenting with a large particle system, basically a a point cloud from microsoft ImageSynth, experiment failed when you can’t stop the particle system from blinking out of existence when it falls out of your camera frustrum, making it pointless to try and have a huge (in world scale) particle system, It still looks pretty RAD, as long as you keep the rough center of the system in camera, you can check it out by hitting right Shift key, then selecting Cloud from the scenes menu
- Disabled the ‘Gaze Look’ when there is no rift attached as it doesn’t make sense in HydraOnly modes
- fixed a case where the camera direction could end up NaN and the world goes black. (sounds ominous no?)
EDIT3: Met up with Ben Lang the other day to geek out and view all the latest community demos, He did a nice write up and video of my toys: you should read it
EDIT2: I’m throwing an update out here with a bunch of new stuff, mostly aimed at making it easier to get someone up and running than explaining 40 button combinations!
- Smoothed out the startup process of configuring the HYDRA some.
- Integrated a UI system with the hydra hands! there are Context menu items on wrist menu, floating buttons in the world space, and menu/toolbars that are in the player space
- the BUMPER button on the controllers is the equivalent of mouse click
- the pointer finger on the hands is the equivalent of the mouse position
- right now there is a shortcut on Right-3 to show/hide a radial menu with a few toys in there. (Looking down there is a button near your feet to do the same thing
- Scale the world (bit buggy and slow, but an interesting effect to change the world scale to giant (Try throwing one of the blocks when it is the size of a house for instance..)
- Change the color of the lines that you can draw using the Right-1
- The RightTrigger will pick things up, you can now throw them
- The LeftTrigger will copy objects..
- There is a right wrist menu (eh..) If you are holding an object with the right hand, you can move your left hand over your wrist to pop up a context menu to toggle gravity on that object, delete object, or copy object
- there is a ‘delete last 5 copied objects’ button out on one of the walls incase you copy a million things and it starts to get slow (There is no optimization in here yet, it’s just a clusterfuck of a playground’
- There is a ‘GAZE STEERING’ thing which somewhat works, there is a button on the wall to show the colliders used for that, which will pretty much explain it better than words.. but basically, if you look ~90 degrees to the right, it will rotate your body slowly to the right.
New download link: Download HERE
Got a chance to do a little more work on my prototype, It’s shaping up to be a lot of fun to mess with. There’s still a ways to go before it ends up like that ol world building video everyone’s seen, but It’s coming along nicely!
I squashed a lot of bugs, made the base environment faster, and I found a few more fun things that I think everyone should try~!
first video capture! It’s come a long way since this already.
General control theme: Right hand to interact with scene, Left hand to modify how we interact.
Neat notes and changes from the previous version:
- You can now grab objects with the [Right Trigger]
- objects that you can drag also affect the player, so for instance, Grab one of the Blue platforms, and stand on it.. now lift up your hand.. but not tooo far! now that you’ve got floating down, use the [LeftThumbstick] to add forward. and you can also use the [RightThumbstick] to rotate.. BANG! Accidental magic carpet/hoverboard/flying effect. – We could probably do with simplifying the controls some, but this sort of happened by accident with the stuff I was making!
- While you are moving objects, you can ‘Clone’ them with the [Left Trigger]
- you can also ‘Toggle gravity’ on them using the [Left Button 1]
- you can also ‘Delete’ them with the [Right Wrist Menu]
- It’s possible to create pretty neat mousetrap type things with just the cubes/platforms and basketballs.
- most of the scene is now grabbable/movable… try raising the roof! you can really make a good old mess here, and it’s a lot more fun than I was expecting to take apart a building. I think it’ll be even more fun when we can put the scenes together. (SOOOON)
- some of the higher res bits you may not want to clone too many times, like the basketball hoop.. It’s not a very optimized model right now, so each copy adds a lot of draw calls.
- You can still draw lines with the [RightButton1]
- You can still ‘shoot’ balls with the [RightButton4]
- You can still free move the player with the [LeftButton2]